Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sweet and sour

What do you think of mixing sweet and sour flavours? I'm a fan of consuming juxtaposing flavours, like this organic popcorn called 'Lightly salted, slightly sweet' by Cobs. Yummo. It's tantalizingly good on my taste buds.


Cobs products are sold at small supermarkets, particularly organic ones, Blockbuster Video stores and Boost Juice Bars. I happened upon a more widely available alternative by the Coles Organic brand called 'Sweet and Salty Popcorn'.

It's cheaper than the Cobs brand but it doesn't quite match the real deal. Good for a quick fix, especially if you're heading to the movies. 

For an indulgent treat combining sugar and salt, nothing compares to Salted Pretzel Toffee. I found the recipe on one of my favourite food blogs, Not Quite Nigella. A quick but delectable recipe consisting of mini pretzels, caramel toffee and dark chocolate, not many people have been able to resist this sweet and slightly salty combo. 

Speaking of Not Quite Nigella and popcorn, I made another delicious recipe from that website called Nutty Caramel Popcorn. Unfortunately, I didn't read the recipe properly first time round. I mixed up a delicious caramel and added cashews, almonds and popcorn kernels. Unpopped popcorn kernels! I was waiting for them to get hot and pop in the carmel. And waiting. And watching the carmel get darker and darker. It was verging on burnt when I finally admitted I had made a mistake in not popping the kernels first. In my defence, I don't think the recipe was abundently clear for readers needing a late-night fix! My second attempt went perfectly despite having run out of cashews and just using almonds. Divine :) This recipe's hardly sour, but it sure is sweet and the nuts provide a little balance.

My little brothers love all those sour lollies. What about you? Are you sweet or sour? Or do you want a taste of everything like I do?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u
    Chest Freezers for Sale Melbourne Australia

    ReplyDelete

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...