Friday, December 24, 2010

An edible Christmas


Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat
Please to put a penny in the old man's hat;
If you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny will do,
If you haven't got a ha'penny then God bless you!

Christmas is coming indeed. So excited! I woke to Sarah McLachlan singing A Merry Little Christmas from my festive playlist and I now have this favourite litte English nursery rhyme in my head (see above). As promised, here is a peek of my edible Christmas gifts. Since we do the Christmas Eve present opening in our family, there's only hours now until I can bestow my little hampers (above) on my family.

Christmas Spice biscuits in snowflake shapes (recipe from Margaret Fulton Christmas: A collection of Christmas favourites).
Christmas Spice biscuits in cellophane bags with snowflake ribbon!
Almond bread (recipe is an old favourite and I'm not sure of the source)
Mince pies yet to be dusted with icing sugar (recipe from Margaret Fulton Christmas: A collection of Christmas favourites).
Cherry and vanilla bean jam (Karen Martini recipe from the Sunday Life magazine in the Age. It worked out in the end after a few tweeks and tastes delicious, but I don't recommend this particular recipe. A few weeks later a notice was posted in the magazine to say the recipe was incorrect -no news flash, we'd figured that out in the cooking process - and a revised version was published. Annoying - I hate dud recipes).
Ye old favourite gingerbread men. These didn't go in the hampers as they were for the kiddies we saw leading up to Christmas (recipe from 09 Coles catalogue that I used last year).
The boxed Charles Whyte Christmas collection
The paper bag version of the Charles Whyte Christmas collection.

Phew! That's it! Lots of time, love and joy went into the making of these so I hope they are gobbled with gusto. Now I think I deserve to kick back to eat, drink and be merry for a few days (oh hang on, I'm hosting Christmas Day and still have a feast to prepare!).

A big thank you for stopping by and reading my blog this year. May your festive season be filled with peace, joy and the ones you love. I look forward to sharing more of the things that make my heart sing when the silly season is fini. xx

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Charles I absolutely love everything. Your attention to detail fabulous as usual and your presentation divine. Your family and friends MUST have been thrilled. And if not ... should have sent their share to me!

    Although I'm sure the far north posties would have gobbled them up before they reached me! You put me to shame this year. The heat does not inspire baking and the travel made it just all too hard. Sorry I missed you on the quick trip south. Mwah xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings #1 follower from the far north. If you're looking for an excuse, you have the best one of all! Thank you for your kind words xx.

    ReplyDelete

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...