Monday, November 21, 2011

Sneak peak: Christmas stocking and advent calendar


This week I'm trying madly to find time to sew Christmas stockings, including mini ones that I hope to use as an advent calendar. That means sewing 25 by December 1! Pictured here are my first attempts with fabric from Spotlight. I grabbed a few Christmas prints from the 'Scandi' range that they have in stock this year and have been excited to get started for weeks now.


I have made a couple more tonight in the other patterns and they are sooo cute. I'll take photos and reveal them, perhaps on December 1 when I have set them out with little treats inside. 

Last year, I made my advent calendar from red and white noodle boxes. Each day there was a different note (mainly things to do to get into the festive spirit, IOU vouchers and notes on the meaning of Christmas including Bible verses!) and 1-2 little treats (mostly Christmas chocolates and lollies or silly things like new socks). The lucky Mister and I had great fun opening them each day.


I was really keen to make a rusty bucket advent calendar last year (like this one below from Ornamenta) but I didn't have any luck finding tiny tin buckets in a short period of time. 


I didn't have a sewing machine either last Christmas so I couldn't make the stocking advent calendar I really liked (see it in an old post here) but this year I have no such obstactle. Yippee.

I love Christmas for all the traditions and the effort we put in to show our family and friends that we love them. We do this in many ways - spending time visiting or inviting loved ones to our homes, making and sharing food, and giving gifts. I love all of these things but in the lead up to Christmas it is the decorating that I love most. Traditions are so important to Christmas decorating as what we do at this time of year is often very much related to what we've done in years gone by, and the special ornaments and rituals are intrinsically attached to our memories. Christmas stockings hung on the mantle for Santa to fill were an important part of my childhood Christmas and each year we used the same ones. Even now, my mum gets out our Christmas stockings and fills them with tiny gifts and chocolates or lollies for us. Seeing them takes me back to the magic of Christmas when I was little and I just loving seeing them each year. For my own stockings, I had my mum trace the shapes of our childhood stockings (we had multiple stockings in two styles) and mail them to me so mine will have a hint of nostalgia in the familar shape.


Now that we have finished re-doing our fireplace and mantle, I am even more excited to make stockings to hang along here and decorate for Christmas (I am such a nerd now and have stashed a few decorations away from the January sales and more recent early season finds). Plus advent calendars are so fun to put together. Collecting little surprises and then having someone else excitedly open them each day makes for a very festive December. Is anyone else doing a DIY advent calendar? I would love to hear about it.




2 comments:

  1. I love your idea and your dedication! I wouldn't have the patience to sew the stockings! I'm lazily putting together 24 advent calendar boxes again for the third year in a row by re-using the same mini boxes I made the first time. Each box contains a note telling the story of Jesus' birth and a little treat like chocolate Christmas tree ornaments, stickers, stamps and balloons. It was fun choosing the treats! Unfortunately I missed the 1st December deadline so my niece and nephew will be opening four boxes when they receive their advent package on Sunday. This year, the six year old will be able to read each part of the story himself. Amazing how much they learn in a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Mrs Tee, I admire the thought and effort you put into your own advent calendar each year. I am sure it was your efforts that inspired me to get into this myself last year. And if yours is complete by now, you are doing better than me - I'm just making sure that I have enough stockings sewn to last the next few days. It has been time-consuming but I am hoping that these last years and years. Perhaps it will become an heirloom!

    ReplyDelete

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...